There is of course an official Miriad web page though we also maintain more timely notes in this Wiki tree:
(June 16,2012) The MAC versions are confusing: the 10.5 build is 32bit, the 10.6 is currently broken (because we built on 64bit with a 32bit compiler), but the 10.7 is ok and just for 64bit. Hang on while this is being repaired.
(June 13,2012) We are preparing for the new 4.3.4 (school12) release of MIRIAD. This version is available in binary form for some Linux/Mac versions: . Notable changes are:
- new WCSLIB from the ATNF group (4.13.4)
- better memory management on Mac 64-bit (notable if you have > 4GB)
- handling the new bfmask UV variable that CARMA now produces
- polarization calibration routines (xyauto)
- more advanced planet models for calibration (marstb, but talk to fluxcal team if you plan to use them)
- incoorporated the just released ds9 V7.0 with 3D capabilities
- enhanced MIS pipeline with many example scripts
- many many bugfixes and enhancements, some updates to manuals
Some of these make an incremental update tricky, we recommend a fresh reinstall.
Latest news on releases : miriad 4.3
Obtaining and Installing Miriad
- Look at these Requirements to see if your computer is suitable for MIRIAD, then pick a method to install:
- sanity tests you should run after miriad has been installed
- example carma data you can try your scripts out on
- helpful non-miriad tools you can optionally install
- installation problems
Several projects related to MIRIAD are underway that experts ought to know about. Here we list them, not all have been documented in much detail yet.
- PACS: some MIRIAD upgrade notes around PACS. Here is a drPACS teaser. But the N1333 project uses a clone of drPACS Scripts called MIS.
- python based scripts (e.g. hemosi)
- ruby based scripts - ATA
- hkmiriad: writing your program in C
- NEMOinMIRIAD Using NEMO in MIRIAD
- email@example.com: a mailing list for users of MIRIAD
- miriad-users (majordomo) mailing list for users [not very active]
- miriad-dev mailing list for developers
For some programs just the program documentation is not sufficient, here we assemble some tips and shortcuts
- mirds9 : viewing images with ds9
- velplotc : making position-velocity slices
- tvflag : flagging visibility data (the 8bit display problem)
- performance : tips to improve MIRIAD performance
- Miriad Future a list of things we like to change/add to Miriad
- CARMA bugzilla, which also contains miriad (you will need to create an account).This is where you should file bugs. The is a list of known MIRIAD issues.
- Miriad Benchmarks might help you decide what to buy
- Miriad Meeting 28 October 2010 in Berkeley.
- CARMA, SMA, ATA and ATNF
- Tony Wong's weblog (link seems to be dead now)
- Miriad Party - pre-summerschool (feb 2007 at OVRO)
- CARMA Summer Schools: School2007, School2008, School2009, School2010, School2011
- CARMA Cookbook and MIRIAD/CARMA data issues
- carma data reduction links contain some user contributed recipes
- CASA support (formerly AIPS++).
- CVS for CARMA/BIMA