Our mediawiki was installed December 2006 on Mandrake 10 from a manual mediawiki 1.5.2 php 4.3.8 mysql 4.0.20
On labor day weekend we lost the root disk, and this contained the webserver config files, as well as the wiki mysql data. Reinstalling that took a bit longer than expected, but by sep 5, 1pm , we seem to be back in business.
On June 9, we updated the mediawiki to 1.19.0, as a general measure to update the package, as well as to see if this solves the intermittend SQL access problem that showed up after the update to Scientic Linux 6.2 last week. We then forgot to tar up the images directory in the old one and untar them (as root, so the permissions are good). after that images ok again.
Changed over to Scientific Linux 6.2 on June 3, 2012 finally. This seems to be working now. Essentially we did on the old system: (mysql-5.0.95-1.el5_7.1, mediawiki-1.14.1)
mysqldump -u root -p --all-databases > /chara/mysqldump.sql service mysqld stop
and on the new system (mysql-5.1.61-1.el6_2.1.x86_64, mediawiki-1.14.1)
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password' mysql -u root -p source /chara/mysqldump.sql
and back in business. The webserver is now using the apache username, so should have no more need to change permissions. Some SQL issue if you edit from the top menu?? Awkward.
needed another permission/owner reset. And again on March 9, as centos 5.8 was installed. The typical error message you get is:
Sorry! We could not process your edit due to a loss of session data. Please try again. If it still does not work, try logging out and logging back in.
Upload option enabled, prompted by the N1333 project. And, whatever happened to our icon on the top left corner.... it disappeared during one of the upgrades.
I'm totally sick of wiki spammers now. i guess it defeats the purpose to lock it up, but if you want to open a new account with us, email me, and I'll change the permissions so you can make an account. By default we now use:
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false; $wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
The procedure is:
cd /chara/bimawww/bima/mediawiki-1.14.1 cp LocalSettings.php.1 LocalSettings.php <<create-account>> cp LocalSettings.php.0 LocalSettings.php
needed to chmod/chgrp again, no idea why. possibly system change.
June 2010: updated to Centos 5.5
mysql 5.0.77 php 5.1.6
Needed to chmod/chgrp again, as for 5.3
March 2010: updated to mediawiki 1.14.1 and fix system permissions
System must have been updated, as the permission on /var/lib/php had been reset.... Apart from upgrading to version 1.14.1 this was the system fix:
chmod 733 /var/lib/php chgrp wwwserv /var/lib/php/session/ /etc/init.d/httpd restart
June 2009: updated to Centos 5.3
mediawiki 14.0 mysql 5.0.45 php 5.1.6 The weird things needed were:
chmod 733 /var/lib/php chgrp wwwserv /var/lib/php/session
in addition to the ever so confusion having to set the super user button in the form, despite that we use the special root's password for mysql. Also needed to reset the $wgEmailConfirmToEdit = true; otherwise anybody can edit pages.
Had to delete several hacker accounts, as well as their 'consumer links'. People do anything for money. Will this ever stop?
once again had to re-install. But this time took a shortcut. mysql was created with an account and database after it was populated. Here's a brief summary of the commands:
First dump the mediawiki mysql database on the old machine:
old% mysqldump -u root -p --opt bimawikidb > /tmp/backup-file.sql
Then on the new machine setup a new user in mysql:
new% mysql -u root -p mysql> create database bimawikidb; mysql> use bimawikidb; mysql> create user 'wikiuser'@'localhost' identified by 'xxxxxx'; mysql> grant all on *.* to 'wikiuser'@'localhost'; mysql> quit
then confirm it works:
new% mysql -u wikiuser -p bimawikidb
Finally load it into mysql:
new% mysql -u root -p bimawikidb < /tmp/backup-file.sql